Saturday, August 4, 2012

Enjoying Life :)


Neighbors chillin' in a tree
I’m not quite sure where to begin with this entry, so I will just write and see where it goes. It has been so long since I have made an entry.  As I have been here for four weeks now I have grown close and gotten to know many of the locals. It has become common place when out for a walk through the village to here a soft voice calling ‘’Miguel? Miguel? Atik, atik!” As anyone who has travelled knows it is the little kids who seem to have the most interest when foreigners come to town.  Thus, these are the soft voices that engage from behind the branches of apple and peach trees.  Don’t misunderstand me many adults are interested and approach after having been engaged with a Hola or ‘janik batx, but it is usually the little kids who are first to engage you.  Perhaps one reason is that kids seem to just let their actions flow and do not preoccupy themselves with thoughts of, “What will he/she do or say if I approach and say hi?” 


Top: Martin, Julio, David, Juan y Ana
Bottom: School kids in Lolbatzam
The locals and usually the kids will often ask “What do you like better Calhuitz or San Jose?” I then reply with, “ Calhuitz.” They then counter with, “But San Jose is much cleaner, has paved streets, and offers technologies that Calhuitz cannot afford.” San Jose is a larger village that is located about a 30 minute walk from Calhuitz.  Many of us from Calhuitz venture to San Jose at least every Friday to take advantage of the Friday market. It is at the market where we stock up on various food items for the coming week.  I will often get a similar question from those who have been in the United States already except instead of asking me to compare villages I am asked to compare the US with Calhuitz.  “Are you growing homesick? It must be tough to live here given that it is so dirty and we don’t have many of the things that the lifestyle in US can offer. Did you bring food with you to eat or do you get it shipped in?” To these questions my usual response is something like this: “Well, I have spent a significant amount of time out of the US and so I really don’t get very homesick. I like Guatemala and I love the people. Yes, there are dirt roads and for sure there are some technologies in the US available that are not available to me here. I eat the same food that you guys eat, eggs, beans, tortillas, corn, and sometimes pollo. I am more content here with my simple lifestyle than I am in the US with an overly complicated lifestyle that involves chasing higher degrees and social prestige.” The people here are poor on material things and health but one would often fail to notice by the look on their faces or by the laughter that is heard daily throughout the village.  
  
Full moon in Calhuitz
When I was little I used to always hear people refer to life in the US as a ‘rat race’.  I was never too sure what the meaning of this was until I got older and observed the stressful lifestyles that we live.  We are so involved in chasing higher degrees, social status, prestige, fame, etc. that life moves by so quickly and not for a minute do we sit back and give attention to what should be important such as social interaction with friends, family and humanity.  Sure, this is an issue that many of us are aware of, but when one lives in the villages of Guatemala or any other village throughout the world it becomes even more apparent how severed the daily social connection has become.  Life here simply slows down and there is no such thing as 'being in a hurry'. The slower pace truly makes life more enjoyable.  In addition, the air is much cleaner here than at home. I can see the moon and stars ever so bright in the night.  One of the best things, when I say hello or smile at someone on the street they respond with a smile and hello.  This is definitely not the normal routine at home which downright is pathetic and sucks. How far detached from one another have we become when we cannot even address one another in the street with a simple smile or hello?

Chico having fun
I’m going to close this entry out but would like to say this.  Often when volunteer groups, relief groups etc., and “professionals”—I cannot stand this word—come to developing countries we usually hold the view that we are coming to teach them something and do not think about all that they have to teach us.  Thus, I leave you with this, regardless of one’s education, financial situation, age, or social status we can always learn from each other. Keep your eyes and mind open. Learning is never a one way street.    

No comments:

Post a Comment